October is Community Living Month!
October 3, 2017
Every year in October we celebrate the gifts that people with developmental disabilities bring to our communities and highlight the importance of inclusion in schools, workplaces, and communities. In celebration of this we call October “Community Inclusion Month”!
“Community Inclusion Month” not only welcomes all members of community to celebrate and bring awareness to the strengths and achievements of people with developmental disabilities, but it also challenges us to think of community as more than just a place where we live. It is where we all come together to work, learn and play.
The theme of this year’s Community Inclusion Month is: “Everyone belongs in BC schools”
Read inclusion BC’s Proclamation here
Stay tuned this October for:
- The annual SABF Community Inclusion Month Pizza Party
- SABF Cowichan Valley Beach Cleanup
Other events on the island for Community Inclusion Month
- River City Chili Fest and Pumpkin Fest – October 14th from 11am-3pm in Campbell River. More details
- Launch into Life! Workshop on Transitioning into Adulthood – October 19th from 9:30pm-9pm and October 21st from 9am to 3pm in Comox. More details
- Looking Forward to the Future: Supporting Individuals with Developmental Disabilities as they Age – October 30th from 6:30-9 at Spectrum School, Victoria. More details
And check out the sneak peek of this year’s UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities Film Festival here!