Family Respite provides relief for parents from the daily responsibilities and accompanying stress of caring for children or youth who have a developmental disability. The amount of respite received is determined by MCFD and varies among individuals. Whenever possible, we try to accommodate respite stays on the days and times requested by the family.
BeConnected’s goals for respite services are to:
- Provide a program that families feel safe, secure and comfortable with so that they are able to enjoy their respite;
- Provide a positive and safe environment for each individual to develop positive social skills and self-management behaviour;
- Respect and accept all individuals as unique;
- Recognize the importance of peer relationships and encourage age appropriate friendships;
- Encourage physical activity and participation as a means of increasing self-confidence;
- Work together with families and caregivers in a spirit of co-operation and recognize that families/caregivers know best what they need.
BeConnected supports two respite programs in the Greater Victoria area.